The past couple of years’ we’ve seen so many cool designs and textured wallpaper on the market. When I first mention the idea of wallpapering to clients there is usually a slight hesitation. The 80’s decade of wallpapering took a toll on us. We needed a couple of decades to recover from all those matching borders!
In the coming weeks, I’m going to share a few projects where wallpaper completely transformed the space.
Here are a few tips about wallpaper:
- If this is a DIY project, choose a paper that is pre-pasted. Also, try experimenting on a focal wall instead of tackling the entire room.
- Be prepared to see the seams in solid and grass wallpaper more so than pattern paper.
- If possible hire a professional. Wallpapering is harder than it looks; cutting around outlets and ceiling variations is cumbersome.
- You will need to buy more paper if you choose a design with a pattern.
- Wallpaper installers recommend priming the wall with Zinnsser Shieldz before papering.
After seeing all these pictures I want to wallpaper my dining room. It might be a good time to do it. My husband is out of town this week. Hmm, do you think he’ll notice when he returns?
Here are some shots that might make you take the plunge, too.
Aerin Lauder’s Dressing Room – Gracie Studio Wallpaper
Tory Burch’s Office
Carrie and Big’s Foyer
Photo credit: Anders Overgaard, Van Chaplin, Charles Walton IV / Styling Buffy Hargett, Atlanta Homes and Southern Living
Hi Shannon! Your blog is great! I kind of want to wallpaper in the open spaces in our living room desk area. They look so boring right now and paper could help hide the outlets and switches. I just don't know where to start to pick out a fun pattern or something interesting with texture...
Hey Gretchen. I'm glad you're reading it:-) It's been fun writing what goes on in my head. I'm going to email you some sites where you can look through different paper designs. I haven't seen your living room since the addition so it's hard for me to visualize the space. I love what you have done to the outside.