I’ve always considered Memorial Day Weekend to be the one to kick start the summer. I love seeing my daughter jump into the water to celebrate the opening day of the pool with a big smile and splash. Summer is time for freedom from all the homework and schedules! Yippee…
I grew up going to my grandparents’ house most weekends in the summer and remember sitting on their porch and playing all over the house. They had a slew of antiques and a beautiful Steinway piano in their living room. We would turn the stereo on and dance all over the space. I don’t remember my grandparents ever telling us to be careful or to stay out of any particular room. I’m sure if we got too rowdy there was always an adult right around the corner.
If you’ve decorated a room and are hesitant to entertain with kids around, here are some tips that will make you feel better:
– I’ve never seen a stain that a good upholsterer or carpet cleaner couldn’t get out.
– If you’re worried about the pretty rug you’ve just had custom made for the room, roll it up and place in storage for the party.
– Don’t be shy about taking some lamps or accessories out of the room so there is enough space for food and drinks.
– Hide all of your kids’ balls while hosting a big party:-).
– Instead of serving purple or red juice make lemonade.
– I usually place a decanter of water with a spigot outside or on the kitchen counter to let kids serve themselves as they get thirsty.
– My favorite stain remedies are: Grandma’s Secret Stain Remover, trust me it works! You can also mix a portion of sudsy Dawn with water. Next add ½ a cup of hydrogen peroxide. Use a sponge to blot from the outside in. Keep blotting lightly and eventually the stain will disappear.
– Hire a couple teenagers to come over and help entertain the kids.
Cheers. Let the party begin.